Movie Partner

'Can you stop watching all this nonsense?' I yelled at my movie-buff almost-fifteen-year old.

'Why? He's an amazing actor! Plus, all this blood, gore - it's faux violence, it's all acting, mum. Why does it drive you up the wall?'

I stare at him for a moment, dumbfounded at his unflinching attitude, snatch the remote control in utmost rage, switch off the OLED screen, and flounce out of the room. However much I read the holy book, I fail to be equanimous when it comes to this genre of movies.


Internet and smart TVs have brought watch-when-you-like trend home in a revolutionary way. Sound from these devices reverberate through stereo receiver or home theatre system - an effect compounded further by Bose sound bars and woofers. Visually grotesque scenes get immensely intensified with gun shots, accompanied by ominous music and other soundtracks, playing all around the room. I wonder how these tender hearts watch them, nonplussed! Have they become inure to violence? Do they not enjoy anything that's not intense? Are they making only action heavy films these days? All such questions chase each other in my mind and I simply can't block my thoughts from them.

I hardly watched or read as much as a child; it didn't help me - I realised so in my advanced age and gave a leeway to my son. I often wonder if he misuses his liberty, if there is a perfect balance in watching, if his access to media is a bane! While there is no right answer to that, lately I have started giving him company when he is watching. Aware of my aversion to horrifying gruesome portions of a film, he fast forwards those scenes, albeit grudgingly. It's not the best strategy, but a win-win for both of us - he gets to watch and I get to keep an eye on what he's watching while catching up with the works of awe-inspiring silver screen geeks I missed earlier.

'Do you understand, mum, that Leonardo DiCaprio knows the entire script? Yet look how convincingly he acted in each of those frames,' his voice soaked in appreciation and I had no argument up my sleeve to deny that. DiCaprio's countenance spoke a thousand words even in his silence. With subtle pulling of strings, his facial contours blended disbelief, grief, guilt, insanity within moments. This acting-powehouse pulled off such a brilliant feat in Shutter Island that we googled to confirm we understood correctly - he's the coroner, he couldn't go wrong, or could he? Relying on this newfound agreement of evading spine-chilling scenes, we watched Blood Diamond - another gem of his movies, and I admitted finally that it was a must-watch!

On top of all this, I found it extremely reassuring to see my son laughing his socks off while giving me company watching 'young Sheldon'. Not just action movies, sitcoms are appealing to him too! And what more, he feasts on blockbusters of Hrithik, SRK, Aamir, Salman, Ajay, Akshay - action but served with phenomenal songs, pickled with slapstick humour, and wrapped with romance in exotic backdrops! Shouldn't I be glad my young cycling and precipice-climbing partner is now my movie partner?

Dona, Sydney, Jan'22 

Comments

  1. Indeed be glad. A very well written piece. In my growing up years, I remember having watched and read anything that came across me..only to realize that the lessons imparted by my parents and teachers and friends have groomed me enough to filter in only those that would make me better. Let Jishnu watch as much as he want.. he will know what to take in and what to discard if you keep on watching with him, discussing the finer points, and sifting the good from the bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your suggestions and guidance always help!

      Delete
  2. Loved your win win strategy of watching with your son.to be honest I too do that 😀 and works wonder in creating a wonderful bubble time with my little one .loved every bit of your write up as usual .Keep that going Dona .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ipsita, for your words of appreciation and inspiration! Good to know we share similar feelings on sharing screen-time with our children :)

      Delete
  3. Excellent piece ...lucid reading ...I feel you should watch movies with your kids to understand their choices and help them better to make better choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved reading the piece. Being a movie buff myself over the years I upped my ante both in terms of numbers of films watched and genres explored. Bollywood, Hollywood and finally the hallowed precincts of world cinema has finally satiated my filmy appetite. Give Jishnu a free hand in selecting the oeuvre he wishes to pursue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sure, I'll let him have his way in this! Movies are great for some life-lessons and at times language-lessons too!

      Delete
  5. As usual very well articulated.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts