First Milestone

My heart didn't palpitate as much in love as it did in apprehension of walking past a blue/ green door to a rickety table across which sat two teachers handing over the marksheets that marked the first milestone of my educational journey: Madhyamik results. After claiming a couple of more certificates I finally landed in a job that had nothing to do with decades of my studies. Every new bug in thousands of lines of  COBOL code clamoured for a new, innovative resolution. I realised, my arduous labour towards the much-coveted marksheets and carefully filed certificates were futile; nothing can prepare you for things out there.

Three decades have passed since. Results are now delivered online, or by post. But the trepidation in clicking the email or paring off the envelope to extricate a piece of paper that'd decide the next steps hasn't abated. The consternation of 'did I do well in my favourite subject' and nail-biting tension 'what about that one that I hated so', in equal portions, might still be haunting the children who sit these tests. Years later they too might look back and belittle this sense of unease, 'How thick of me! Couldn't I see nothing matters as much!'

But it does matter in the end! It gives us a taste of life, teaches us to touch the peaks and negotiate the troughs of life, bolsters our path with tenacity, sincerity, and a sense of responsibility. Perseverance pays!

So congrats to all those who've crossed this first milestone with flying colours even in the face of this unprecedented pandemic, relish your success, celebrate your well-earned euphoric moments, and lean in for your next milestone with a new spring in your steps! With each achievement you'll realise that the world's your oyster. 

Good luck!

Comments

  1. But it does matter in the end! It gives us a taste of life, teaches us to touch the peaks and negotiate the troughs of life, bolsters our path with tenacity, sincerity, and sense of responsibility.

    My favorite sentence in the whole article. Even though we all deny saying that marks don't matter, I cant stop agreeing with this sentence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anoushka for your interest and time!

      Delete
    2. It doesn't take much time to get engaged in a post which you love reading 😁

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much! Always eager to hear from readers! 🙂

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts